CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, April 30, 2010

Chicken Crazy

Okay.  So I wasn't going to go shopping this month for anything other than perishables...but then Harmon's put their chicken on sale.  For anyone not familiar with Harmon's boneless, skinless, recipe-ready chicken...it's AWESOME.  There is not one ounce of fat or other yuckiness on there at all.  And it just so happens that I have been waiting 8 long months for them to put it on sale (at their cheapest price, which is $1.99/lb.).  I meant to take a picture of all of it when I got home, because it really was an impressive giant pile of chicken (the girl at the checkout said "are you having a barbecue or something?) but I got all happy and excited with my  new chicken and got it all wrapped and put away before I remembered.  Oh well.
So...I bought a total of 60 pounds of chicken.  Even thinking that my freezer has 60 pounds of the most awesome chicken ever in it makes me smile.  I'm wierd that way.


I individually wrapped 40 pounds worth of the breasts and put them in bags for freezing.  The other 20 pounds I sprinkled with Grillmates Monterey Chicken seasoning and put in the crockpot with onions, celery, green peppers and enough water to barely cover it all (about 2 cups per crock pot).  They cooked all day.  When they were done, I shredded some (enough for 6 bags of 2 cups each) for enchiladas and other yummy shredded chicken recipes.  The rest I covered and refrigerated overnight and then diced.  I got nine bags of diced chicken ready for freezing.  And it was so TENDER.
Then I strained the liquid that the chicken cooked in and poured it in bottles for the freezer.  Considering I only added 4 cups of water total, I got a LOT of chicken stock...so it's pretty concentrated.
The really funny thing about this, is that even with all that chicken I am still wondering if I bought enough.  Hopefully I did, because it will probably be another LONG 8 months before it goes on sale again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment