CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, May 3, 2010

The BEST brownies EVER!

Unfortunately, I cannot claim this recipe as my own, but it just doesn't matter because I love it all the same. This one comes from the Worldwide Ward Cookbook which I happen to love.  If you don't have it, you really should look into it.  My mom is the one that sort of "discovered" this brownie recipe in there and it is now my favorite.  These are also Colby's favorite dessert of all time, so imagine his disappointment when he came home and saw them and I told him they were leaving to go to a Relief Society meeting (but I took pity on him and left a few rows).  I don't make them very often because the amount of butter in them is truly horrifying...which is also the reason they are so good.  As Paula Deen says "when you think you have enough butter, add some more..."  By the way, these brownies take awhile to make because each layer has to cool or set up before moving on, so plan ahead!

LAYERED MINT CHOCOLATE BROWNIES
Brownies:
1 cup butter, melted
2/3 cup cocoa powder
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour

Mint Frosting:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 lb. powdered sugar
1-3 Tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon mint extract
green food coloring

Chocolate Topping:
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup butter
  
Brownies:
Mix butter, cocoa, and sugar; add eggs one at a time.  Stir in flour.  Spread into a greased 9X13 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.  Let cool completely.
Mint Frosting:
Mix butter and powdered sugar.  Add only enough milk to make a smooth consistency (each time I have used the full 3 Tablespoons).  Add mint extract and enough food coloring for a light green color.  Frosting will be VERY thick.  Spread over brownies and refrigerate until firm.
Chocolate Topping:
Melt chocolate chips and butter in microwave for 2-3 minutes.  Stir well to combine.  Pour over frosted brownies, covering frosting completely.  Refrigerate until topping is set and hardened.  Let brownies sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before cutting.  Cut with a sharp knife.

2 comments:

Kristie

Sounds super yummy! I'm going to make these for FHE tonight!

Kim McCann

Um, I can attest to the fact that these are indeed the yummiest brownies ever!! Even better than Kneader's (which I happened to love...until I had these)!

Post a Comment