CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, September 27, 2010

YUMMY, CHEESY GOODNESS...

I have been negligent in my blogging lately but I am going to try and change all that.  Since right now my diet is restricted and I am about to have gallbladder surgery, naturally all I can think about is FOOD...and of course that means all the food I can't eat right now.  This Italian dish is one of my favorites, and I meant to post this one awhile ago.  The best thing about this one is that I have never had it spill over in my oven like a regular lasagna. I wish I could cook it for dinner tonight, but, alas, with the cheese and sour cream I will wait.  Hopefully somewhere, someone will enjoy this and think of me while they're eating it.


 EASY BAKED ZITI (OR PENNE)
1 lb. dry ziti or penne pasta (I prefer penne, and I always use whole wheat)
1 onion, finely chopped
1 lb. extra lean ground beef or ground turkey
2 jars spaghetti sauce (26 oz. each)
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
6 oz. provolone cheese slices
1 1/2 cup sour cream
12 oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 Tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated

In a large skillet, brown meat and onion over medium heat.  Add spaghetti sauce and tomato sauce and simmer about 15 minutes.Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil and cook pasta until al dente, approximately 8 minutes; drain.  Grease a 9X13 baking dish.  Layer as follows: 1/2 the pasta, Provolone cheese slices, sour cream, 1/2 the sauce mixture, remaining pasta, mozzarella cheese and remaining sauce.  Top with grated parmesan cheese.  Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes or until sauce is bubbly.  Because the sauce is hot, it doesn't take too long.
This dish requires lots of yummy, buttery garlic bread to dip in the sauce.  I make garlic butter with 1-2 cloves minced garlic, 1/2 tsp. salt, a couple dashes of italian seasoning, and a cube of butter.  Spread it on thick (if it doesn't drip down all over your hand while you're eating it, you need more butter)... and we wonder why I have gallbladder problems :)

2 comments:

Kim McCann

Thanks Wendy, I'm SO making this tonite. Glad to see you blogging again, but sorry you have to get your GB out. :)

Kim McCann

Um, I know you can't eat this right now...so I probably shouldn't tell you how yummy it was last nite! :) But, I just did...so, sorry! :)

Post a Comment