CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, January 14, 2011

Amazingly Delicious!

When I told my sister I was going to try this, she said, and I quote, "Ewww, that sounds awful."  It gave me pause...and I wondered if maybe I was wrong and shouldn't try it.  But in a moment of desperation (I was out of chicken and ground beef...all I had were pork chops...something had to be done!) I decided I would go ahead.  What's the worst that could happen?...we'd end up at McDonalds for dinner... (It's happened before...like the day I made skunk meatloaf...which is a whole story in and of itself that I will save for another time.)
Anyway, I'm glad I went ahead and tried because not only did it turn out absolutely fabulous, but I nearly had a riot on my hands as my husband and sons fought over the pork chops (I started with 12 and I personally only ate one...who knew there'd be a shortage?) It was also SUPER easy, and who doesn't like easy?  I made mashed potatoes with melted cheese on them to go with the pork chops and the sauce was also delicious over the potatoes.  So, before you say "eww" give them a try!

COLA BBQ PORK CHOPS
1 cup ketchup
1 1/2 cups cola carbonated drink (a 12 oz. can)
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
3 Tablespoons brown sugar
3 Tablespoons corn starch
2 small cloves garlic, minced
12 boneless pork chops
seasoning salt and pepper
  
Heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium high heat and brown the chops.  Sprinkle them with salt and pepper as they cook. Transfer them to your crock pot, cover and cook on high for about an hour, then drain off all the fat before adding the sauce (this step can be skipped if you want or if your pork chops are particularly lean, but I like to remove all that fat so my sauce isn't greasy when they're done).
Combine the ketchup, barbecue sauce, cola, brown sugar, corn starch and garlic and  mix well.  Pour over the pork and reduce the heat to low and allow to cook for 4-5 hours.
NOTE: this recipe would also probably be good with chicken, although I haven't tried it yet.  The pork was very tender and falling apart when it was done cooking, so I wouldn't recommend using bone-in chops or you'll end up with naked bones floating around in your sauce.  No one likes naked bones.

1 comments:

Kim McCann

Love the new blog background and stuff! Super cute! Also, what's not to like about coke and meat with brown sugar? It's a match made in heaven! :)

Post a Comment