CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A New Fruit Salad

I have vowed that with all the food storage I have that when it's time to make or take something somewhere, like a potluck or party, that instead of picking a recipe and running to the store to get what I needed, I would look at what I already have and then pick a recipe and make something without the extra trip to the store. (When I have done the run-to-the-store type cooking I have usually walked out of the store with at least $20 worth of stuff--not good when I am trying to watch my grocery budget!)  So when it was time for the Superbowl party, what I really wanted to take was a fruit salad...and I actually thought I had everything to make my favorite one.  Unfortunately I didn't, but I decided to wing it and improvise...and I'm glad I did because this salad turned out fabulous!  It might even be better than the original...

ORANGE CREAM FRUIT SALAD

1 can pineapple chunks
1 can peach slices or chunks
2 cans mandarin oranges
1 can tropical fruit
1 lrg. box instant vanilla pudding
1 1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup frozen Hawaii's Own passion orange juice concentrate, thawed but NOT diluted
3/4 cup sour cream
1 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 cups marshmallows

Combine all fruit and drain well; set aside.  In a separate bowl, beat cream cheese until soft and smooth.  Add sour cream and mix well.  Slowly beat in orange juice concentrate, milk, and pudding mix and beat for 2 minutes.  Add fruit and marshmallows and toss gently.  Refrigerate 2 hours before serving.

NOTE:  I only had peach halves, so I drained and sliced them into chunks.  The original recipe calls for regular orange juice concentrate, which is really yummy, but I didn't have any, so that was one of the things I had to improvise. I think any type of frozen juice with orange in it would be good (I also had orange pineapple, so it was a toss up which would be best). I would have liked to add bananas, too, but I didn't have any.
  

0 comments:

Post a Comment