CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, February 27, 2010

It feels like soup weather

One of the best things about winter is soup.  I love it, and I usually cook it at least once a week, although this winter I haven't been making it as much as normal.  I'm not sure why, but I have felt lately like I'm missing out and soon spring will be here and soup season will be over!
A couple of years ago, I was having a craving for soup, and I had a particular flavor in mind.  I searched everywhere for a recipe that would accommodate my craving but found nothing.  That prompted me to try and "invent" my very own recipe...it was the first time I dared.  I had to tweak it a few times, but it has turned into my second favorite (right behind a creamy chicken noodle soup that I will post on another day) and it's Savannah's absolute favorite!  It's pretty spicy so I usually serve it with sweet rolls of some kind.

SPICY TOMATO NOODLE SOUP
1 lb. ground turkey (or hamburger if you prefer)
2 Tbsp. corn starch
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. red pepper
1/4 tsp. oregano
2-3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
4 cups water
2 cups chicken broth (or one can)
3 Tbsp. sugar
3 (15 oz.) cans tomato sauce (substitute one can for crushed tomatoes if you like them)
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cups carrots, sliced
3 cups penne pasta or 1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni (I prefer the whole wheat kind)
pepper to taste (I usually add about a teaspoon)

Brown meat and drain.  Cook onions until translucent; return meat to the pan and add corn starch and all the dry seasoning plus one cup of water.  Cook, stirring, on low for about 5 minutes (it will thicken because of the corn starch).  Add the rest of the water and all the other ingredients except the noodles.  Simmer on low for 1-2 hoursAdd the noodles about 20 minutes before serving.  Add extra water if needed, according to the consistency you want.  Serve with shredded cheddar cheese if desired.

0 comments:

Post a Comment