CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Time for Mexican Food

One of our all-time favorite things to do when we go to California is to make at least one (but hopefully a couple) trips to those AUTHENTIC mexican places for burritos--our favorite is a place called Corrales in Ventura. (Patrick went to Ventura without me last summer and I really put a lot of thought into how he could actually bring one home for me--that's how good they are) Try as we might, we have just never found anywhere around here that makes them quite like them.  The desire for really good burritos set me on a quest to make them myself, and after many attempts, I actually have a really good recipe... they still aren't the same as Corrales but they ARE very, very good.  So,  in honor of all the free tortillas (I usually make my own for burritos but free ones from the store are good enough) and free salsa I got at Smith's this last week, I figured it was time to put some of it to good use. 

SHREDDED BEEF FOR BURRITOS
3 lbs. (roughly) chuck roast
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cups picante sauce or salsa (picante sauce is less chunky for cooking, but both work fine--I use hot, but use mild or medium depending on your taste)
2 Tbsp. vinegar 
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1/8 tsp. pepper
3/4 cup water

Brown beef in oil over medium high heat.  Place in slow cooker.  Add all ingredients.  Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours.  Remove meat and shred, discarding fat. Return shredded meat to the slow cooker and cook awhile longer. (I like to strain the juice before adding the meat back in, especially if I used salsa...but that's just my own wierd aversion to chunks in my meat).  
Stuff your burritos with anything you like--cheese, rice, beans, etc.   These will also freeze really well, so if you have a lot of leftovers, throw together some burritos, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and freeze!

0 comments:

Post a Comment